1. Strengthen our financial security with sound planning.
- Develop new sources of revenue by identifying underutilized common areas and rental property.
- Reduce expenses by reviewing costs from outside contractors and suppliers.
- Establish maintenance security by updating and expanding the Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption (SCRIE) substitute for fixed- and low-income shareholders.
- Repeal the new sublet policy that allows owners to become permanent landlords.
- Establish a sensible pet policy aligned with shareholders’ wishes.
- Perform recertification of parking spaces to make sure the cars in our lots are the ones that are allowed.
- Eliminate surprises by reporting a long-term capital plan for anticipated maintenance.
- Develop a marketing strategy to promote ownership and encourage sales.
- Reform internal bookkeeping to provide timely and accurate financial documents to all directors.
- Participate in neighborhood revitalization projects that impact real estate values.
2. Protect cooperators’ safety and health.
- Install automatic entrances to protect the elderly and children from heavy doors.
- Create and enforce clear penalties for cooperators who do not clean up after their pets.
- Participate in NYC compost program to reduce pests and foul smells in our buildings.
- Institute and publicize emergency plan in case of flood, blackout, or evacuation.
- Upgrade front door intercoms to ensure security and accommodate cooperators without landlines.
- Cooperate with local authorities and social services to assist neighbors whose apartments compromise the health of the coop.
3. Share ideas and information with openness and respect.
- Hold board meetings on a regular schedule with first 30 minutes open to questions and presentations from shareholders.
- Update cooperators regularly with quarterly directors’ report.
- Present and distribute a detailed mid-year financial report each spring.
- Create dedicated Coop Village email addresses for individual directors.
- Perform an annual survey to solicit new ideas from cooperators and track quality of life over time.
- Solicit impartial moderator for candidates’ forum and outsource the administration of our annual vote to election management professionals.
Over 75 cooperators signed these proposals when they were first distributed on 10/28/14. If you’d like to add your name to theirs, please visit this online form.